Thursday, December 19, 2013

Transformation




Who can honestly say that they love their job? Until earlier this year, I couldn't but 2013 has marked a turning point. I got in to modelling earlier this year completely by accident. Contrary to what the mainstream media might tell you, having pink hair, tattoos and lots of piercings has brought me loads of opportunities that I wouldn't have had otherwise. 

It started off when a photographer who came to photograph some makeup I did asked if I'd be interested in having my picture taken. To my surprise, and to the lovely photographer's credit, I felt comfortable in front of the camera and loved how the pictures turned out. Since then I've managed to arrange a steady stream of modelling jobs and have been lucky enough to work with some incredibly talented people. I love showing off my tattoos, as I've been lucky enough to have work by some amazing artists, and have been thrilled to discover how much support and appreciation there is for alternative models. Of course, if it hadn't been for my work as a makeup artist, I would never have discovered modelling. 

I first fell in love with makeup when I realized I could use it to completely transform the way that I look. I started off wearing bright blues and teals, I've always loved bright colours. A lot of the women I looked up to at the time (mostly musicians from punk and heavy metal bands) wore bold, dramatic makeup so I started dying my hair black and wearing matte red lipstick and masses of flicked out black liquid eyeliner. Now, I wear a different look every day (usually involving lots of glitter - I love brushing it over my tattoos, bringing them alive) and still love how I can choose to see a different face in the mirror from one day to the next. Earlier this year, after years of working in environments where I felt controlled and bullied, I decided to try and start a career in the industry, and took a fashion and media makeup course. Since then, I've been taking freelance work as well as working part-time on a makeup counter, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Makeup is for everyone who wants to use it, irrespective of size, shape, age, race, gender, sexuality, lifestyle, and I'm proud to promote this on a day to day basis and encourage people to use cosmetics as a means of self expression. 

This year has helped me realize that I'm capable of so much more than I thought, and that embracing living an alternative lifestyle is a huge part of what makes me happy. There will always be things that are out of my control (getting my heart broken, seeing people I care about suffering on a daily basis, to name just a couple) but to a certain extent, I've realised I can create the life that I want. Next year, I want to start a band - I'm so inspired by music, both personally and in my work, and I have a lot to say - and continue to build my portfolio (I'm currently planning a photoshoot involving a bathtub full of pink glitter!) I'm also working on starting my own cruelty free, vegan cosmetics line....watch this space!

- MZ Bones Alt Model


No comments: